Being an Apprentice in Truck Decoration




For the past 4 days I have been working with Haider Ali, the Truck Artist who will be visiting Luton to apply paint decoration to the Bedford Truck. I am his apprentice for my stay here, which means I spend time with Haider watching how he applies the unique decoration.

I have been allowed to apply paint on my own but only on the mud guards under the truck; the truck owners stay with the vehicle and watch closely as the decoration is applied and obviously don't want any mistakes on their truck which they are paying a lot to have repainted, it is the same as paying $15,000 to have a vehicle painted in the UK.

The speed at which Haider and his 15 year old brother work is amazing, between them they have painted 4 flat bed Bedford trucks in 4 days. I haven't been able to take any photos of the work in this area of the city due to trucks arriving from all over the country loading and unloading; this area is near the port and as you can imagine attracts people from all professions, including the undesirable ones. I will be able to take photos of the larger Bedford truck to be painted in a quiet yard starting on Monday which is in a residential area of the old city. This truck is the large traditional Bedford, the other 4 had been converted to ridgid body container lorries and have lost that unique look, the truck owners are having to move with the times and containers are the way freight is shipped these days except in the rural areas where the older style is still required.

No comments:

Post a Comment